There are two ways to display the hidden formatting marks placed into Word when keys such as the SPACE BAR, TAB, or ENTER keys are pressed.
Generally the hidden formatting marks are displayed by clicking on the Home tab and within the Paragraph group clicking on the Show/Hide button. This method displays all the hidden formatting marks which include the ones listed above plus several others. The table explains the hidden formatting marks.
The first figure below shows how a portion of a document appears when the Show/Hide tool has been used to display the hidden formatting marks. Frequently, Word users want to see only the paragraph marks. The second figure below side shows only the Paragraph marks displayed.
To display only Paragraph marks, take the following steps:
- Click on the File tab (in Word 2007 click on the Office button).
- From the Navigation bar, select Options (in Word 2007, click on Word Options). The Word Options dialog box displays.
- From the Navigation bar, select Display.
- From the Always show these formatting marks on the screen area, select Paragraph marks (Figure 2).
- Click on the OK button. In the document only the hidden paragraph symbols are displayed.